When the temperature’s still in the 90s, it’s tough to think about winter, but soon, millions of people will be shutting the door on summer and their seasonal homes.
Here are some tips to help you do that thoroughly, and make sure things don’t go awry when the mercury slides below zero:
- Unplug appliances and electronics and turn off nonessential utilities.
- Adjust furnace settings for the climate.
- Clean out the refrigerator and cupboards and dispose of all perishable goods.
- Make sure your gutters are clear so rain and melting snow can flow unimpeded off the roof.
- Notify your local police and fire departments before you leave. Be sure they know how to reach you.
Taking the time to make sure your house is “in order” and that you’re monitoring the critical elements of power, temperature and humidity will give you peace of mind all winter long. Avoid problems such as burst pipes, which can cause thousands of dollars’ worth of damage.